UNESCO has designated Mumbai as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN)
- UNESCO has designated Mumbai as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of FILM
- Hyderabad in the field of GASTRONOMY
- About UCCN
- created in 2004,
- a network of cities which are thriving, active centres of cultural activities in their respective countries.
- 246 cities included in the UCCN
- The 7 categories for recognition under UCCN are as follows-
- Crafts and Folk Arts
- Media Arts
- Jaipur-Crafts and Folk Arts(2015)
- Varanasi-Creative city of Music (2015)
- Chennai-Creative city of Music(2017)
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF)
- India has set up the National Infrastructure and Investment Fund (NIIF) to catalyze private institutional investment in Indian infrastructure
- This is different from the National Investment Fund
- The objective of NIIF would be to maximize economic impact mainly through infrastructure development in commercially viable projects, both greenfield and brownfield, including stalled projects. It could also consider other nationally important projects, for example, in manufacturing, if commercially viable.
- Functions of NIIF
- Fund raising through suitable instruments including off-shore credit enhanced bonds, and attracting anchor investors to participate as partners in NIIF;
- Servicing of the investors of NIIF.
- Considering and approving candidate companies/institutions/ projects (including state entities) for investments and periodic monitoring of investments.
- Investing in the corpus created by Asset Management Companies (AMCs) for investing in private equity.
- Preparing a shelf of infrastructure projects and providing advisory services.
- ASEAN, East Asia Summit &RCEP
- FDI reforms, allowing 100 per cent foreign investment
in coal mining and contract manufacturing, easing sourcing norms for single-brand retailers and approving 26 per cent overseas investment in digital media.
4. The United Nations has announced the decade 2021-2030 as the ‘Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development
5. Coastal Flood Warning System app for Chennai (CFLOWS- CHENNAI)
Ø developed by the National Institute of Ocean Technology
6. Four Guinness World Records slated during the 5th India International Science Festival
- A small personal model of advanced spectroscopes can easily be made by anyone using a box made of cardboard that has a very narrow window used to channel light into the spectroscope. A piece of a Compact Disc is used to split the light by a process called diffraction.
- Communication link set up through Infrared signals – Wireless infrared communications refers to the use of free-space propagation of light waves in the near infrared band as a transmission medium for communication.
- Wireless infrared communications refers to the use of free-space propagation of light waves in the near infrared band as a transmission medium for communication.
- The largest human image of a human chromosome will be attempted to be formed
- the nucleus of each cell, the DNA molecule is packaged into thread-like structures called chromosomes. Each chromosome is made up of DNA tightly coiled many times around proteins called histones that support its structure.
- The Kung Fu Nuns receives Asia Society’s Game Changer Award for their heroic activism and called them true symbol of women empowerment.
- The Kung Fu Nuns are the fearless daughters of India who represent a new generation of Buddhists using spirituality to inspire real-life action & impact.
- ICEDASH and ATITHI
- two new IT initiatives
- To improved monitoring and pace of Customs clearance of imported goods and facilitating arriving international passengers
9. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh called upon the Russian Defence Industry to jointly manufacture defence platforms and equipment with India that will give a massive boost to the nations’ exports to third countries.
- Raksha Mantri said, Government of India is encouraging OEMs to partner with Indian entities making use of the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- What is OEM
- An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) traditionally is defined as a company whose goods are used as components in the products of another company, which then sells the finished item to users.
- An OEM provides the components in another company’s product, working closely with the seller of the finished product, the “value-added reseller (VAR).”
- Why in news : Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi chaired the 31st interaction through PRAGATI
- PRAGATI — the ICT based multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation.
- The PRAGATI platform uniquely bundles three latest technologies: Digital data management, video-conferencing and geo-spatial technology.
- It also offers a unique combination in the direction of cooperative federalism since it brings on one stage the Secretaries of Government of India and the Chief Secretaries of the States.
- User ID and Password for each of the Union Government Secretaries and Chief Secretaries have been created and made available. Union Government Secretaries and Chief Secretaries will be able to see the issues pertaining to their Department /State.
- Union Government Secretaries and Chief Secretaries have to put their comments and updates about the flagged issues within three days (i.e. by next Monday).
- One day – Tuesday is available to the PMO team to review the data entered by the Union Government Secretaries and Chief Secretaries.
- Khadi gets separate unique HS code:
- HS Stands for Harmonized System and it is a six digit identification code. It was developed by the WCO (World Customs Organization) and custom officers use HS Code to clear every commodity that enters or crosses any international border.
- BIMSTEC Ports’ Conclave’
- The Ports’ First Conclave of BIMSTEC nations is expected to explore the possibility of increasing economic cooperation by furthering EXIM trade and coastal shipping.
- About BIMSTEC
- (BIMSTEC) is an International Organization involving a group of countries in the South Asia and South East Asia namely, Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal. Delegates from the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, the Kingdom of Bhutan, the Republic of India, and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and the Kingdom of Thailand.
- These BIMSTEC Countries will bea part of this conclave and will present their country’s perspective on BIMSTEC and regional ports.
- ShaalaDarpan portal,
- an E-Governance school automation and management system for NavodayaVidyalayaSamiti (NVS)
- Government e Marketplace (GeM)
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is a one stop portal to facilitate online procurement of common use Goods & Services required by various Government Departments / Organizations / PSUs. GeM aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement. It provides the tools of e-bidding, reverse e-auction and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users achieve the best value for their money.
- ‘Samudra Shakti’
- Indian Navy – Indonesian Navy Bilateral Exercise
- Documentation Identification Number (DIN)
- DIN number is mandatory for any person intending to register a Private Limited Companyor Limited Company or One Person Company (OPC) in India and be a part of the Board of Directors. DIN number is not required for shareholders of a Company. Further, a DIN number can be used for registering a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) or an existing DPIN (Designated Partner Identification Number) can be used for registering a Company.
- The DIN application must be electronically signed with the Digital Signature Certificate; hence, the requirement for obtaining DSC prior to DIN. The DIN application must also include a photo of the applicant along with identity and address proof.
17. Kartarpur Corridor
- Indian pilgrims of all faiths and persons of Indian origin can use the corridor;
- The travel will be Visa Free;
- Pilgrims need to carry only a valid passport;
- Persons of Indian Origin need to carry OCI card along with the passport of their country;
- The Corridor is open from dawn to dusk. Pilgrims travelling in the morning will have to return on the same day;
- The Corridor will be operational throughout the year, except on notified days, to be informed in advance;
- Pilgrims will have a choice to visit as individuals or in groups, and also to travel on foot;
- India will send the list of pilgrims to Pakistan 10 days ahead of travel date. Confirmation will be sent to pilgrims 4 days before the travel date;
- The Pakistan side has assured India on sufficient provision for ‘Langar’ and distribution of ‘Prasad’
- Global Exhibition on Services (GES)
- Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry in association with Services Export Promotion Council (SEPC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has created a dedicated platform
- It is an attempt towards escalating the Indian services bar in the global arena by exploring 12 Champion Services Sectors, encompassing participation from 100 countries and hosting sector specific knowledge sessions.
- Champion Services Sectors
- iDEX Portal,
- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) launched by the Governmentin April 2018, primarily aims at creation of an ecosystem to foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace by engaging Industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes & academia, and provide them grants/funding and other support to carry out R&D which has good potential for future adoption for Indian defence and aerospace needs.
- iDEX will be funded and managed by a ‘Defence Innovation Organization (DIO)’ which has been formed as a ‘not for profit’ company as per Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013 for this purpose,
- he two founder members i.e. Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) – HAL & BEL.iDEX will function as the executive arm of DIO, carrying out all the required activities while DIO will provide high level policy guidance to iDEX.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended in Brasilia, Brazil on 13th – 14th November 2019 to attend the 11th BRICS summit. The theme of the BRICS summit this year is “Economic Growth for an Innovative Future.”
- BRICS brings together five major emerging economies comprising 42 percent of the world’s population, having 23 percent of the global GDP and around 17 percent of the share and world trade.
- BRICS cooperation has two pillars including consultations on issues of mutual interest through meeting of leaders and ministers as well as cooperation through meeting of senior officials in a number of areas including trade, finance, health, education, science and technology, agriculture, communications IT etc.
- Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights (PPV&FR) Act”
- for the protection of plant varieties, the rights of farmers and plant breeders and to encourage the development of new varieties of plants it has been considered necessary to recognize and to protect the rights of the farmers in respect of their contributions made at any time in conserving, improving and making available plant genetic resources for the development of new plant varieties.
- The legislation recognizes the contributions of both commercial plant breeders and farmers in plant breeding activity and also provides to implement TRIPs in a way that supports the specific socio-economic interests of all the stakeholders including private, public sectors and research institutions, as well as resource-constrained farmers.
23. Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan”
- the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) are undertaking a mass cleanliness-cum-awareness drive in 50 identified beaches under the “Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan”
- he identified beaches are in 10 coastal States/Union Territories (UTs) namely Gujarat, Daman & Diu, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Andhra Pradesh, and Odisha.
- The cleaning drives in all beaches are being undertaken, involving school/college students of Eco-clubs, district administration, institutions, volunteers, local communities and other stakeholders.
- For beach cleaning activities which will be a duration of two hours on daily basis, a minimum of one Kilometre stretch of the beach shall be identified.
- collected waste will be processed as per extant Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Under Indian Forest act 1927 the Bamboo is exempted
25. International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII)
Ø The theme of this year’s ICAS is ‘Statistics for Transformation of Agriculture to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)’.
Ø The conference will be organised in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, ISI-CAS, FAO, the USDA, ADB, World Bank, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Eurostat, AfDB and various other organizations.
26. Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training exercise (FTX)-2019 Exercise Dustlik-2019
- The inaugural Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019, Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 culminated on 13 November 2019 after 10 days of joint training with Uzbekistan Army.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy (Insolvency and Liquidation Proceedings of Financial Service Providers and Application to Adjudicating Authority) Rules, 2019
- The FSP Rules aim to provide a framework for insolvency and liquidation of systemically important financial service providers (FSPs) other than banks and are currently applicable to non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) with an asset size of INR 500 Crores (approx. USD 70 million) or more, as per a notification issued by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs on 18 November 2019.
- The key highlights of the FSP Rules are as follows:
- Corporate insolvency resolution process (CIRP) can be triggered by an application made by the appropriate financial regulator which will be dealt with in the same manner as an application filed by a financial creditor under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016 (Code);
- For NBFCs to whom the FSP Rules apply, the appropriate regulator is the Reserve Bank of India (RBI);
- Insolvency and liquidation provisions of the Code shall apply mutatis mutandis to FSPs except for the provisions specifically provided for under the FSP Rules;
- An interim moratorium commences for FSPs from the date of filing of the application till its admission or rejection;
- Once an application under the CIRP is admitted, an administrator similar to an insolvency professional is to be appointed to assist the FSP;
- The relevant licenses required for the operation of the FSP will not be suspended during the interim moratorium and CIRP;
- For voluntary liquidation proceedings, the FSP is required to obtain prior permission of the appropriate regulator, currently being the RBI for FSPs which are NBFCs, before applying for voluntary liquidation;
- The administrator of the FSP must seek a no objection from the appropriate regulator regarding the proposed control/ management of the FSP after the approval of the resolution plan by the committee of creditors;
- The moratorium will not apply to any third-party assets including any funds, securities and other assets required to be held in trust by the FSP for the benefit of third parties.
- Global cooling Prize
- Bharatiya Poshan Krishi Kosh (BPKK)
- The BPKK will be a repository of diverse crops across 128 agro-climatic zones in India for better nutritional outcomes.
- The kosh was launched by WCD Minister Smriti Irani along with Bill Gates on November 18, 2019 in New Delhi.
- 5 points programme
- Ensure calorie rich diet for women, especially pregnant women and children.
- Ensure protein intake in form of pulses to eradicate protein hunger among women and children.
- Eradicate hidden hunger due to micro-nutrient deficiency such as vitamin A, vitamin B, Iron and Zinc.
- Ensure supply of clean drinking water.
- Spreading nutrition literacy in every village, especially among women with children less than 100 days’ old
- Winter-Grade Diesel
- the first Winter-Grade Diesel outlet for Ladakh region launched
- a pour point of – 33degreeCelsius and does not lose its fluidity function even in the extreme winter weather of the region unlike the normal grade of Diesel which becomes exceedingly difficult to utilize.
- National Mission on Cultural Mapping (NMCM)
- by the Ministry of Culture in 2017
- Mission will compile data of artists, art forms & geo location with inputs from Central Ministries, State Governments & art/culture bodies
- Bilateral Maritime Exercise Za’ir-Al-Bahr (Roar of the Sea)
- Indian Navy Guided Missile Stealth Frigate INS Trikand and Patrol Aircraft P8-I arrived at Doha for the inaugural edition of the Bilateral Maritime Exercise Za’ir-Al-Bahr (Roar of the Sea) being conducted from 17 to 21 Nov 19 between the Indian Navy and Qatari Emiri Naval Forces. Za’ir-Al-Bahr 2019 would strengthen cooperation and enhance interoperability between the two navies.
33. Cabinet approves establishment of the National Institute of Sowa Rigpa (NISR) at Leh
Ø Sowa-Rigpa” is one of the oldest, living and well documented medical tradition popular in the world. The term ‘Sowa Rigpa’ is derived from Bhoti language which means ‘Knowledge of Healing’. It is an ancient Indian medical system which was enriched in the entire Trans-Himalayan region.
34. Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC)
Ø Use of AIS-140 compliant NavIC-based vehicle trackers system has been made compulsory to all commercial vehicles
35. Patent Prosecution Highway programme
- Reduction in time to dispose patent applications.
- Reduction in pendency of patent applications.
- Improvement in quality of search and examination of patent applications.
- An opportunity for Indian inventors including MSMEs and Startups of India to get accelerated examination of their patent applications in Japan.
36. Samagra Shiksha – an Integrated Scheme for school education
Ø An overarching programme for the school education sector extending from pre-school to class XII and aims to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education at all levels of school education
37. Cartosat-3 satellite:
Ø India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, in its forty ninth flight (PSLV-C47), successfully launched Cartosat-3 along with 13 Nanosatellites of USA from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC)
Ø The advanced Cartosat-3 will augment our high resolution imaging capability.
38. Lok Sabha passes the Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (Merger of Union Territories) Bill, 2019
- The Bill, inter alia, provides for better delivery of services to the citizens of both Union territories by improving efficiency and reduction in paper work; reduction in administrative expenditure; bringing uniformity in policies and schemes; better monitoring of schemes and projects; and, better management of cadres of various employees.
GS PAPER I
GS PAPER II
- Centralized Public Grievance Redress And Monitoring System (CPGRAMS)
- the platform based on web technology which primarily aims to enable submission of grievances by the aggrieved citizens from anywhere and anytime (24×7) basis to Ministries/Departments/Organizations/State Governments who scrutinize and take action for speedy and favorable redress of these grievances.
B. National Hydrology Project (NHP)
- The project has a coverage on pan India basis and intends to set up of a system for timely and reliable water resources data acquisition, storage, collation, management and dissemination.
- NHP would also be a platform to develop tools and systems for informed decision making in field of flood management, reservoir operations, drought management, etc.
- The project also seeks to build capacity of the State and Central sector organisations in water resources management through the use of Information Systems and adoption of State-of-the-art technologies.
- To achieve the objectives as above, NHP contemplates to promote international level knowledge exchange, solutions exchange and networking necessary to realize these changes.
C. National Policy on Biofuels
- Categorization of biofuels as “Basic Biofuels” and “Advanced Biofuels”,
- Incentives, off-take assurance and viability gap funding for advanced biofuels,
- Allowing B-molasses, sugarcane juice, damaged food grains and surplus food grains for ethanol production,
- Setting up of supply chain mechanisms for biodiesel production from non-edible oilseeds, Used Cooking Oil, short gestation crops, and
- Synergy of efforts by defining roles and responsibilities of all the concerned Ministries/Departments with respect to biofuels.
- “Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN (Jaiv Indhan- Vatavaran Anukool FasalAwashesh Nivaran) Yojana” for providing financial support to Integrated Bio-Ethanol Projects using lignocellulosic biomass & other renewable feedstock, with a total financial outlay of Rs 1969.50 crore for the period 2018-19 to 2023-24.
GS PAPER III
D. Wastelands Atlas’ – 2019
Ø India with 2.4% of total land area of the World is supporting 18% of the World’s population. The per capita availability of agriculture land in India is 0.12 ha whereas World per capita agriculture land is 0.29 ha.
Ø The Indian Remote Sensing Satellite data is brought out as the fifth edition of Wastelands Atlas – 2019.
Ø A reduction in wasteland area was observed in the categories of land with dense scrub, waterlogged and marshy land, sandy areas, degraded pastures / grazing land and gullied and / or ravinous land
E. Cabinet approves Special Window for funding of stalled Affordable and Middle-Income housing projects
Ø The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister approved the establishment of a ‘Special Window’ fund to provide priority debt financing for the completion of stalled housing projects that are in the Affordable and Middle-Income Housing sector.
Ø The fund will be set up as a Category-11 AIF (Alternate Investment Fund) debt fund registered with SEBI and would be professionally run.
- This fund would in turn would provide relief to developers that require funding to complete a set of unfinished projects and consequently ensure delivery of homes to the home-buyers.
- What is role of the Government and the Investment Managers in this Special Window?
- The Government shall act as the sponsor to the proposed fund and shall have the authority and responsibility as specified under SEBI (AIF) Regulations, 2012. Whereas, the investment manager is responsible for fund raising, investments and managing the fund team.
- Will Projects under NPA and NCLT be considered for the last mile funding?
- Based on the inputs received from the stakeholders the Government has decided to increase the scope of investments to include NPA as well as NCLT projects. All applications for financing would be reviewed by the investment committee of the fund for approval, after due-diligence and discussions with existing lenders and legal advisors.
F. Steel Scrap Recycling Policy issued
o Ferrous Scrap being the primary raw material for EAF/ IF based steel production, the policy envisages a framework to facilitate and promote establishment of metal scrapping centers in India
o The policy framework shall provide standard guidelines for collection, dismantling and shredding activities in an organized, safe and environmentally sound manner.
- To promote 6Rs principles of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Redesign and Remanufacture through scientific handling, processing and disposal of all types of recyclable scraps including non-ferrous scraps, through authorized centers / facility.
- To decongest the Indian cities from ELVs and reuse of ferrous scrap.
- To produce high quality ferrous scrap for quality steel production thus minimizing the dependency on imports.
Some Terms/ Quotation
GS PAPER IV
- “ ‘Rising India’ should mean the rise in the living standards of every Indian. Not only should there be greater ease of doing business but there should be greater “ease of living” as well.” Honorable Vice President Of India
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has emphasised on the importance of ‘Ideation, Innovation and Incubation’in cutting edge-technologies to achieve the goal of indigenisation and self-reliance in the defence sector.
Person In News
- Shri T.N. Seshan
- Seshan was the only one to hold the post of CEC for six years from 1990 to 1996 in the last 50 years.
- He redeemed the autonomy and authority that the Constitution has bestowed upon ECI under Art. 324 of the Constitution
- It was during Mr. Seshan’s period that the Commission was made a multi-member body in October 1993.
- In the mid-1990s, Mr. Seshan was seen as a crusader against corruption and electoral malpractices. His work was recognized internationally when he was given the Ramon Magsaysay Award for 1996 for exemplary work in government service.
- Shri Dattopanth Thengri,
- In 1935 at a young age of 15 he was elected President of Arvi Taluka municipal high school.
- In this position he initiated the formation of a fund to help needy students. In 1935 itself he presided the “Vanar Sena” of the Indian National Congress at Arvi.
- became governor of “Arvi Goani Jhuggi Jhopadi Mandal” in 1936.
- From 1936 to 1938 he worked as an active member of Hindustan Socialist Republican Army, Nagpur.
- From 1942 to 1944 Thengdiji worked to develop organizations like Shri Vagmala Nanda. Society Kalicut, Arya Samaj Kalicut, Hindu Mahasabha, British Malabar Poor Home Kalicut.
- In 1955 established the Bhartiya Majdoor Sangh or BMS which developed literally from a tiny acorn in beginning to now a mighty oak.
- Thengdiji also founded the Samskar Bharti and inaugrated Akhil Bhartiya Adhivakta Parisad, Bhartiya Vichar Kendra, Akhil Bhartiya Grahak Panchayat etc.
- His two books “Rashtra” and “Dhyepath par Kisan” are guiding light like Gita.
- in 1977 he went to Switzerland as a delegate to an ILO conference and also to the Second International Anti-apartheid Conference at Geneva.
- Mathematician Dr. Vashishtha Narayan Singh.
a child prodigy, lived a life that can be mounted on billboards of apathy and neglect, but that has little to do with the subject that he loved so dearly and lived in its corner: mathematics.
‘ Reproducing Kernels and Operators with Cyclic Vector” a book written by him
PLACES IN NEWS
Places in news
Places in news
L. Sisseri River
Ø Lower Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh.
Ø The 200-metre long bridge between Jonai-Pasighat-Ranaghat-Roing road inaugurated which will provide connectivity between Dibang Valley and Siang to meet the long-pending demand of the people of Arunachal Pradesh as it would cut down the travel time from Pasighat to Roing by about five hours.
Meeting of Prime Minister with Prime Minister of Vietnam during ASEAN
N. Meeting of Prime Minister with Prime Minister of Australia
O. Feni River
Ø The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given ex-post facto approval for the MoU between India and Bangladesh on withdrawal of 1.82 cusec of water from Feni River by India for drinking water supply scheme for Sabroom town Tripura, India.
Ø the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Brazil in the field of Health and Medicine. The MoU is expected to be signed in November, 2019.
Ø Union Cabinet Chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the signing of the Protocol amending the Convention between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
Ø the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Paraguay for Strengthening Cooperation in the field of Tourism.
Ø the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Maldives on Training and Capacity-Building Programme for Maldivian Judicial Officers in India.